Monday, March 28, 2011

Butterflies Go Free

Wow. I don't post anything to my blog for weeks and then BAM! -- Two entries in a row. Mind you, I did threaten yesterday that I'd be posting some butterfly shots. (Big Grin)

So far this year, I visited the Butterflies Go Free exhibit twice; First on the day it opened then a month later. I wouldn't go on the first day again as there were very few butterflies flying about. But that totally changed my second visit. There were butterflies, caterpillars and butterfly eggs everywhere you looked.

One of the first butterflies I captured was this Sulphur (Phoebis sp.). I love the yellow against the purplish background

Sulphur butterfly (Phoebis sp) - Montreal Botanical Gardens
Sulphur butterfly (Phoebis sp)
Also managed to capture a Zebra Longwing, one I've not seen for a few years.
Heliconius charithonia (Zebra helicon or Zebra longwing) - Montreal Botanical Gardens
Heliconius charithonia (Zebra helicon or Zebra longwing)

Another I've not seen in awhile is the Great Eggfly Bolina. (Seen here is a female.)

Great Eggfly (Female) (Hypolimnas bolina) - Montreal Botanical Gardens
Great Eggfly Bolina (Female) (Hypolimnas bolina)

I managed to grab a couple of 'First Timers' for me -- a Rusty-tipped Page (Siproeta epaphus) and a Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae)

Rusty-tipped Page (Siproeta epaphus) - Montreal Botanical Gardens
Rusty-tipped Page (Siproeta epaphus)

Gulf Fritillary or Passion Butterfly (Agraulis vanillae) - Montreal Botanical Gardens
Gulf Fritillary or Passion Butterfly (Agraulis vanillae)


I'm hoping to get back to visit the buttereflies again in the near future. So you can expect more photos to come.

Hope you enjoyed these images.

Remember that clicking on any image on this page will open the image in my Smugmug site, where you can view a larger version. Please use your browser's "Back" button to return to the Blog.

Other butterfly images taken during my visits to the Botanical Gardens this year can be seen in either my 17 February visit or my 17 March visit galleries. Please feel free to leave comments here on the blog, in my Guestbook or in the photo gallery.

Thanks for looking. And please stop by again.

No comments:

Post a Comment